In the recording multiple drums were used. In this tutorial JP shows you how to play it with only one drummer in a live setting so that it doesn’t sound empty compared to the recording.
The snare sounds a little different – it’s turned off for this song, creating more a tom sound.
The intro of the song is just the drums for 2 measures.
Click: 74 BPM subdivision of 1/8 notes
– Left foot is on the high-hat accenting the up/off-beat. JP achieves this by tapping his heel down on the on-beat and rolling it forward for the off-beat. This high-hat pattern is kept through out the intro, verse and chorus.
– the kick drum on the downbeat of the 1, no kick anywhere else in that phrase.
– different kick pattern and an added hit on your left hand.
– when you are doing the break to get ready for the bridge you turn the snare on.
– the first section is at a cut-time, then switch into a fulltime groove, after a fill
– really big