Leading In Worship
When you lead people, in anything, you have to start where the people are, not where you are.
- You could be pouring out in the secret place, you can’t just lead from where you are.
- He inhabits praise. He establishes his glory to rest on people.
The two absolutes:
- Love - The greatest of these
- Faith - apart from faith we can not please God.
The church are lovers of people.
- You don’t ever grow by emphasizing a problem. You feed into a solution and give them opportunity to be who they are.
- Love has to be practical, and zero in on the individual.
- Matthew “I desire compassion above sacrifice.” The offering I want to give him must be within the context of having love for people.
- It has to be in the context of how you value people.
- God: Take care of your unforgiveness with someone before you bring your offering."
As worship leaders, what can we do to cultivate that value of people within the gathering?
Hebrews 13 - 15 Through Him, therefore, let us at all times offer up to God a sacrifice of praise, which is the fruit of lips that thankfully acknowledge and confess and glorify His name. 16 Do not neglect to do good, to contribute [to the needy of the church as an expression of fellowship], for such sacrifices are always pleasing to God.
- Fellowship is supposed to be a sacrifice. Until it costs me it is not.
- Sacrifice is a step beyond convenience.
- Learn how to draw people into who they are without rebuking or correcting.
- Faith is absolute confidence in who God is.
- Faith isn’t the result of striving, it’s the result of surrender.
- Lead people in surrender.
- If there’s anything that faith isn't, it isn’t a boost in confidence of what we believe.
- Faith comes from hearing - read scripture.
- A lot of the congregation is willing, but they don’t know HOW.
- We can put together routines, do things perfectly, sing our favorite comes, but who cares if the glory didn’t come.
Take ten different people, with ten different versions, they get together to pray. They all start praying THEIR ministry and burden. It’s wonderful, it’s just not corporate. But suddenly one person prays for the homeless, but the person who has the heart for the senior citizens lay down their burden and agree with the one who prays for the homeless.
- The group discerns what the spirit is moving on.
- If you start with a prophetic song you will lose 90% of the room. Get them at a point of agreement and THEN you can take them wherever you want.
- You don’t want to start in a way that isolates the people.
- In this unity we start hearing what the holy spirit is saying.
- It’s possible to, in heart, have the same sense for what God is saying in a corporate group of people.
- I can’t take people in a corporate setting where I have not gone.